How to Buy a Penske Used Truck

  1. Find a truck in our inventory.
  2. Talk to a Penske rep to discuss pricing and availability.
  3. Inspect the vehicle
  4. Sign and return the bill of sale. Penske will begin vehicle preparation.
  5. After receiving notification that your truck is ready, make payment via a certified check or wire transfer.

Taking Delivery

Penske will provide you with the contact information to the location where the vehicle is parked. You will need to take the following to the Penske location for pick-up:

  • Your driver's license
  • The signed bill of sale
  • Vehicle registration

Some vehicles may be immediately available. In other cases, vehicles are active until the point of sale and will still need to undergo a pre-sale inspection before they can be picked up.

Find out about Penske’s Vehicle Delivery.

Commercial Vehicles

Operating a vehicle for commercial purposes differs from personal use. Learn more about commercial vehicle operation and maximum allowable weight.

Operating a vehicle for commercial purposes is different than operating one for personal use. Generally, a vehicle or combination tractor and trailer exceeding a GVW of 26,000 pounds requires special licensing and registration. Laws governing legal operation, such as physical exams, drug testing and hours-of-service logs differ for commercial applications. For more details, contact your state's department of transportation.

GVW Classifications Maximum Allowable Weight (GVW) What does GVW stand for?
Light duty trucks Up to 15,000 lbs. Gross vehicle weight –
The maximum allowable weight of your vehicle on the road, including the vehicle – combined tractor and trailer, if applicable – the driver, fuel and cargo
Medium duty trucks, non-CDL 15,001 to 26,000 lbs.
Medium duty trucks, CDL 26,001 to 33,000 lbs.
Heavy duty trucks (tractors) 26,001 lbs. or greater
Single-axle tractors/trailers Typically 55,000 to 65,000 lbs.
Tandem-axle tractors/trailers Typically 80,000 lbs.

Trucks over 26,000 lbs. GVW require a Commercial Driver’s License (CDL). Consult Federal Motor Vehicle regulations for more information.