Make a Smart Used Truck Purchase
Penske Used Trucks is a well known for its high quality, late model used commercial trucks, most of which are six years of age or newer. Whether you're looking for a cargo van, a medium duty box truck, a Class 8 truck or a semi-trailer, our inventory is the place to begin your search.
Spec it Right
When you've decided on the type of truck to buy, the next step is to determine the specs you'll need for your application. Ask yourself these questions:
Light and Medium Trucks
- Are there any weight requirements?
- Does your vehicle require a commercial driver's license (CDL)?
- What type of vehicle body do you need: refrigerated, standard or flatbed?
- How many cubic feet will you need? Do you need to consider any clearance, dock high or turning radius specifications?
- Are you seeking a gas- or diesel-powered truck? Automatic or manual transmission?
- What are the skill sets of your drivers?
Heavy Duty Trucks
- Do you need a day cab or a sleeper? What sleeper size is adequate?
- Will you use this vehicle for over-the-road or local hauling?
- How much weight do you plan to carry? Weight determines the number of axles you need.
- Is fuel efficiency a strong consideration?
- What type of body configuration are you looking for (refrigerated, flatbed or dry van)?
- Do you need a lift gate?
- How many axles do you need? The weight you plan to carry will determine the number.
- Will your trailer need aerodynamic accessories like trailer fairings?
Working Within Your Budget
Of course, it's important to find the right vehicle to do the job, but you'll want to find one that doesn't break the bank too. With a smaller budget, you may have to consider an older vehicle with higher mileage. You'll also have to decide whether to finance your purchase or pay cash.
How Much Mileage
After hitting 150,000 kilometers, light duty trucks generally have three to five years of optimal run time, and medium duty trucks are serviceable through 475,000 to 550,000 kilometers. Heavy duty Class 8 trucks can be expected to run reliably for 950,000 to 1,200,000 kilometers.
- Obtain maintenance history reports, so you know how the vehicle has been cared for.
- Set aside a budget for expenses like repairs.
- Work with a seller who can set you up with good finance options.
- Get the proper insurance for your vehicle (e.g., gap insurance).
Pre-sale Inspection and Condition
Most of the vehicles we sell undergo a pre-sale inspection that meets industry safety and mechanical standards.
We also provide a five-year maintenance report on most vehicles.
Take a look at our inventory to learn more about the truck types and specs available.